For a programmer reliable documentation is always a must. The presence of documentation helps keep track of all aspects of an application and it improves on the quality of a software product. Its main focuses are development, maintenance and knowledge transfer to other developers.
Successful documentation will make information easily accessible, provide a limited number of user entry points, help new users learn quickly, simplify the product and help cut support costs. Documentation is usually focused on the following components that make up an application: server environments, business rules, databases/files, troubleshooting, application installation and code deployment.
Documentation helps in below important factors :
– Clarify quality objective and methods
– Ensure clarity about tasks and consistency of performance
– Ensure internal co-ordination in client work
– Provide feedback for preventive actions
– Provide feedback for your planning cycle
– Create objective evidence of your quality management system’s performance
Careful documentation can save an organization’s time, efforts and money. Lack of documentation is becoming a problem for acceptance.